Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hunter is an Apt. cat.

Hunter use to live in a house & was use to coming & going when ever he pleased. That is,inside or outside when ever he pleased. I was told by the Humane Society, Hunter was taken by a family who did not ask their Landlord if they could even have a cat. This was the last family who adopted Hunter. He was a Birthday gift for their small daughter. I had asked as many questions about Hunter as I could think of. He had been adopted 5 times.....& was only a year old (poor guy). He had a history of running away. Nobody could tell me what happened to his tail.......or why there was no fur on both sides of his face from his whiskers to his ears (it's growing back in now). It looked like somebody had shaved him. Hunter is suppose to have a tail.......& the Vet just said it looks like it was cut off. But, she couldn't tell me why ???
Hunter has adjusted well to being an inside only cat. He still looks longingly out the window in the spring & summer......even though he's been neutered. You can tell he'd like to be out there chasing squirrels & Butterflies. I wanted to get him a harness & leash......so I could take him out every now & then, but the Vet told me it was better not to. If he was meant to be an inside cat...then keep him in.
When I first brought Hunter home.....I was also told to give him a "Safe" room, till he got use to the Apt. So, before I went to work...I'd put his food & water in the bathroom & close the door. The only problem with that was Hunter learned how to open doors right away. And as soon as I went out the Apt. door, he'd come out of the bathroom. My neighbors would tell me he'd howl all day long. The man across the hall even told me if I wanted to get a "Friend" for Hunter he wouldn't report me to the office.. So, apparently he wasn't use to being along either. So, I would spend a little extra time petting him before I went to work.
Hunter was a very "Needy" cat when he came to live with me. He would follow me all around & jump up in my lap every time I sat down. It was like he was starving for love. Which was OK with me, as I was feeling a little "Hungry" myself.
The races for the Apt. door began as soon as Hunter had free run of the Apt. Every morning I'd pick him up......put him on the bed....pet his head & assure him, I'd be back. It took months, but it worked. Now all I have to do is turn off the TV in the morning & he just goes into the bedroom.....then I tell him,"Bye Buddy, I'm going to work now, I'll be back as soon as I can."
That's what I call Hunter..."Buddy" or "my Buddy". Because he is my Buddy. Some times I call him "Dude" LOL
I'm just happy Hunter & I are living together so well. I was determined Not to take him back to the Humane Society for the 6Th time. He deserved a better life.
And, he's always been such a well mannered cat. He has never clawed up the furniture......he claws his cardboard box to pieces. He has never really peed on anything......he did once, but I think he was just mad at me. He doesn't mind "Playing" dress-up every now & then. LOL No, I don't do it often. He respects my space.......& I respect his.
I do some times wonder about where he's come from, but decided the past is the past. It's just Hunter & me.......in the here & now.

No comments:

Post a Comment