Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Teaching Hunter to shake Hands.

A woman at work brought in a Readers Digest. One article in it was..."101 things you can do now." .........& in that was, "Teaching your Cat to shake Hands."
" OK," I thought, "maybe if you had a normal cat." She thought it would be a snap to teach Hunter to shake hands.....since he was so smart anyway. Well that's true....but Hunter only uses his "Smarts" for his own means. And, I didn't think doing "Tricks" for humans would be up his ally.
It seemed simple enough.....OK, so I'll give it a try.
First you get a "Plastic" spoon (their kidding, right?)......put some canned chicken, or the baby food type chicken on the spoon (Hmmm)..........touch the cat on the paw while saying "Paw".........if the cat moves his paw...reward him with some chicken.......after awhile, when you say, "Paw"....the cat should put his paw in your hand.
I used Ham......because Hunter will do just about anything for Ham. If he could open the fridge........he'd get his own Ham. And, I actually got him to "Roll Over" once for Ham.........the fact that he's never done it since, & probably will never do it again, is beside the point.
I held the Ham in one hand......touched his paw with the other hand.....& said, "Paw" Hunter looked down at his paw....then up at me....then back down at his paw........then up at me........then went for the Ham. "No Hunter," I said, "Paw" & touched his paw again.........he backed up this time.
I forgot....Hunter doesn't like his feet messed with. I tried again.....I touched his paw & said, "Paw" He backed up again.......& gave me a look that said, "Stop touching my feet."
Once more....I touched his paw & said "Paw".........this time Hunter did lift his paw......to smack me on the hand holding the Ham, which I dropped.......& he grabbed. After he enjoyed his Ham snack.........he went to the fridge, looked up at it.......& "meowed". "You're not getting anymore Ham." I told him. With that....Hunter lifted his paw......touched the fridge......& "Meowed".......Gees !
"Hey, who's teaching who this trick ?" I asked him. Hunter once again......looked up at the fridge......touched the fridge.....& "Meowed". (sigh) What could I do...........I gave him more Ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment