Saturday, September 26, 2009

Hunter is Here to Stay.

I'd like to say that when I finely brought Hunter home from the Humane Society.......we lived "Happily Ever After." I'd like to....but it didn't happen that way. Hunter had to first go to the Vet to be neutered before he officially became My cat.
I never had a cat before. So, I envisioned me sitting in the recliner with Hunter in my lap happily purring away while I petted him......or brushed him......& how he would sleep in his little cat bed right next to my bed. Yeah, Right.
When I got Hunter from the Vet & got him home.........the very first thing he did after I let him out of the carrier was, jump up on a living room chair & pee on it........he was still groggy from the operation. I picked him up & put him in his litter box.......which he jumped right out of & hid under the bed for the rest of the day. He wouldn't come to me at all.
Hunter wouldn't let me pet him.......or even touch him. After I would give him his food, & he was done eating it.........He'd go right back under the bed.
When he wasn't under the bed.....Hunter spent most of his time at the Apt. door......pawing at it & yowling. When ever I left for work.......it would send him into a yowling frenzy. My friend said to me, "Maybe he's never been alone before." He's so Cat smart. He told me he had gotten a toy cat for his cat......& would put it on the bed when he left for work. But, Hunter didn't want any of the toys I had bought for him.........all he seemed to want was this ratty old toy gray felt mouse that was in the cage with him at the Humane Society........& they sent "Home" with him. He carried the thing everywhere in his mouth.
Nights were the worst.........Hunter would be at the Apt. door yowling & pawing at it....wanting out in the worst way.........with the beat up gray felt mouse always next to him.
Some times he would pick it up in his mouth & wonder around the Apt. like he was lost...or looking for something.
My friend with his cat wisdom said, "Maybe he misses the people he use to live with."........."Cats have long memories."
6 months down the road....the Humane society called me........the lady asked if there were any issues I was having with Hunter ? ..........Issues ? "I have a list." I was thinking........but, I was determent Not to send Hunter back to live in a cage.
So, what I said was......."Nothing we can't work out."
It was Christmas Eve......& I was in a Blue Funk........not just because of Hunter.........but, the man I lived with for 12 years was gone. He loved Christmas time.......we would put up a tree....cook a big dinner......& invite people over. But, he was long gone.......my home was gone.......my things were gone.......my life was gone........& all I had was a cat who wouldn't let me pet him.
Sitting there in the recliner watching the snow fall..........Hunter jumped up into my lap......ratty old gray felt mouse & all. "Hi Buddy." I said & smiled. Hunter purred & nudged my hand with his nose. I laughed & petted his head......."I guess we both miss someone."........."But, it's just you & me now Buddy." I told him. "Meow" Hunter said. It was a calm "Meow".....not the horrible Yowling he had been doing. "Oh here, Santa came to you." I reached into my pocket & took out a new gray felt mouse.........I had my friend drive me to 3 different pet stores till I found one that looked like the beat up old thing he had. Hunter sniffed it........& picked up the old one.........I threw the new one across the floor......Hunter jumped down & ran after it.........then brought it back.......I laughed....& threw it again.......& Hunter brought it back again. (I had a picture in my mind of a small child saying Good-bye to a loved cat friend & putting the gray mouse in his cage for comfort.) And, that's when we started to bond.
We had to adjust to each other.........& it took months to teach Hunter not to race to the Apt. door every time it opened........it took even more months to get him to stop pawing at the door at night & Yowling........Now, when I lay down at night he jumps up on the bed....& when I say "Lay down."......Flop, he lands half on the pillow & half on me.
To the people who had Hunter before me;........he's a Happy, healthy,funny & smart cat. He has found a very good home with someone who loves & cares about him very much. He makes me laugh...he makes me mad.......he makes me crazy !
Thank-You

No comments:

Post a Comment