Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hunter was sick.

Normally Hunter is a healthy cat. But, for the last few weeks he's been sleeping a lot. Then, he stoped eating his wet cat food. This was not like Hunter at all.....when I put the food in the bowl...he chows down. But, he would lick up the gravy & eat a few bites....& leave the rest. I'd find his bowl almost full in the morning. Then he started drinking large amounts of water.......I mean 2 or 3 bowls of water a day. That's a lot for him.
"Something is wrong" I kept thinking.....But what ? He was acting very unHunter. When I would try to play "Fetch" with him.......he would just lay there & look at the toy mouse. Then he kept wandering around "Meowing".
I thought maybe his tummy was bothering him again........until I seen him scratching his chin on his cardboard box. So, I picked him up & looked at his chin.......he had a pea sized black scab on his chin......& it smelled infected. Yikes !!!!! I had been washing his chin with Noxzema acne wash......for the feline acne. The acne was clearing up....but the Noxzema must have made him itchy.
When I touched the scab....he just screamed. I never heard a cat scream before.........it scared the mess out of me. I called the Vet.
I had to work all week end.......so, I had to get my cat loving friend to drive me into work on Fri.(the friend who normally drives me to work is afraid of cats & does not want Hunter in her car) So, we could drop Hunter off. And, this is why I love my Vet too. She knows I don't drive.......so, if I bring Hunter's food with me (just enough for the day).....she only charges me for an office visit. So, Hunter went in at 10...with a sandwich baggie of Meow Mix....& was out at 7:30 (she ever waits for me)........OK, the Vet took the scab off to clean around it........gave him some Antibiotics.....& his food.
Then $55.00 later......with a small bottle of drinkable Antibiotics (he's never taken pills before,& I don't want to even go there).......& a tube of Antibiotic cream to rub on his chin........Hunter is home.
I put all his bowls in bleach water.......& mopped real good around & under his place mat on the kitchen floor.
OK, now getting the cream on his chin........He just "Howls" when I put the cream on. "Oh, you big Baby !" I tell him...."This doesn't hurt." But, Hunter wants no part of it. Oh well....to bad....so sad. The cream goes on his chin. He just jumps around like I'm trying to set him on fire....Gees!
Hunter is fine now........except, he's rubbed a lot of the fur off of his chin...& it looks like he tried to shave himself. The Vet said it would grow back.

No comments:

Post a Comment