Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Love at first sight

I once lived in Florida & had it all. A nice home, a nice man, a good job, & my pet Ferrets.
Till one day when the nice man had a stroke & died. Then it was all over, everything was gone. I was homeless, & felt lost & lonely. The nice man & I had never gotten married, & the state of Florida does not recognize common law marrages.
But, through a friend who lives in Wisconsin. I picked myself up, dusted myself off & moved here to Wisconsin. I soon found a pretty good job & a nice Apt. But, I still felt lost & lonely. I hated coming home to my empty Apt. My friend could tell there was still something missing from my life. So, one day he suggested we go & visit the Humane Society to "Just look around." We called & found out they had Ferrets. I was excited, I always talked about ferrets, & really wanted to adopt one. There were 5 furry little ferrets there that day, but while I was looking at them & trying to decide which one I wanted to spend some time with, I kept hearing a sad forlorn "Meow--Meow" coming from the cat section. It sounded so sad. The sound pulled me to the cage of a big gray cat laying in it. When he saw I was looking at him, he sat up & put his paws on the bars of the cage. It just pulled at my heart.
My friend had picked out a 6 month old kitten named Molly for me to look at. She was a nice kitten, playful & sweet. But, I kept hearing the forlorn "Meow--Meow" So, I asked the lady if I could see the big gray cat. "You mean Hunter." She said.
I sat in a chair & waited, when she brought him in & set him on the floor, he came right over to me & jumped up in my lap. He purred & purred. He even gave me little "Kitten Kisses." And, when I looked into those big golden eyes, it was love at first sight.
The lady told us Hunter was homeless, had no tail & because he was a year old nobody really wanted him.
Yup, homeless, not as attractive, old.........& nobody wants you. I could relate.
We spent an hour with Hunter that day. I didn't want to leave him. My friend even went to get the lady to bring the paperwork on him, so I could hold him a little longer.
The biggest thrill was when I came to sign the final paperwork & pay the fee. There was a sign on his cage that said......."I'm going Home."
I had to send Hunter to the Vet to have him neutered, but after that I could pick him up from the Vet & take him home.
Hunter still "Meows" a lot, but it's not the sad forlorn sounding Meowing he once did. and, I look forward to coming home from work every night.
He's not my pet.....He's my buddy.......my pal........my soul mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment